Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Mother's Pecan Pie

If I had to live the rest of my life only eating one kind of pie, pecan would be it! I have childhood memories of sitting on the back porch step with my grandfather while he cracked pecans with his hands. He would toss some in the bowl and give some to me to eat. I would wash them down with a cold Dr. Pepper. Thank you Paps for teaching me the finer things in life!

My grandmother would then make the BEST pecan pies!! When my grandmother stopped making the pies, my Mother took over.

I could not have a Thanksgiving without this pie.

The key ingredient here is to use LIGHT corn syrup and not the dark. It makes all the difference in the world and the pie is fabulous! I’ve had the pie with halved pecans and the pieces. I am not sure why, but I like the pieces better. But, either way, it is greatness.

Oh, and sometimes I “make” the crust and sometimes I use a frozen crust. I find that during Thanksgiving I tend to use the frozen since it is quicker and I have many other things to make. However, at Christmas, my Dad makes the majority of the food, so I take more time for the crust.

Mother always “made” hers. Here is the secret recipe to her crust.  Follow instructions on the box....yes, you simply add water.  :-)



Because my Mother made this pie more during my life than my grandma, I call it Mother’s Pecan Pie. Here is the recipe. ENJOY!!

Mother’s Pecan Pie

Ingredients:

¼ cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup light corn syrup
3 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups pecans

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Next find the cutest little cook around.  (Please note a good cook will always have some sort of mess on their apron.)



Melt butter and mix all ingredients in order listed.





















Pour into deep dish shell.




Cook for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and cook for 35 minutes.  Crust should be golden brown. 





Let cool completely before serving.

YUMMY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment