Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas Memories, part one: The things She said

I love Christmas!

Part of what I love about Christmas time is all the memories. Every year there are certain things that are always brought up around our house. I will try to share some of the funnier ones on here this Christmas season.



Two of my favorites involve Joshua and my Mother. First, I must explain that Mother loved Joshua dearly. I know most of it is because of Joshua himself; she just loved him and his personality. But, some of it was that since his mother lived so far away, she felt she needed to step it up with him a little. She was his “Texas Mom”.



First memory…...this one particular Christmas, Joshua wanted a mini Dallas Cowboys helmet and Mother decided she would buy it for him. We went to a sports memorabilia store and I showed her the exact helmet that he wanted. We picked it up and went to the counter to pay. Behind the counter, on a shelf, sat another Dallas Cowboys helmet, but it was a bit different. This one had lights around the star and was lit up like a Christmas tree.



In all seriousness, she asks, “Do you think Josh would rather have the one that lights up?”



I laughed and I laughed hard. I was not sure what was funnier, the fact that she was asking or the fact that she was serious.



“No, Mother. I can assure you, he does not!”



The story does not end there. After Christmas, I took Joshua up to the store and showed him what he could’ve had for Christmas. He laughed too. Every year I bring this up….”too bad you did not get the helmet that lights up.” He always laughs and then says, “That will NEVER get old.”



I tried to find a picture of this helmet, but could not. I can only assume that someone decided it was not a great idea and they stopped making them.



Second memory……I am not 100% sure how it all started, but once I moved out of my parent’s house, Joshua and I always went to Mother and Dad’s to help decorate for Christmas. I am sure I had pity on Mother and just decided we should help her, but I do not really recall.



One of Mother’s specialties was putting up the Christmas lights. She was a perfectionist about this and so it was her job. One Christmas, Josh took it upon himself to follow her around the tree holding the strand of lights. Nice of him, I know.



After a minute or two, Mother gives this high pitched giggle and says, “Josh, stop chasing me around the tree!”



WHAT. THE. HECK??



Did my Mom just do and say that to my husband?



Yes. Yes, she did.



And wait…..Is my husband laughing with her???



Yes. Yes, he was.



Every year since, I mock her when we put up our lights. I of course do not say it as good as she did, but we get a good laugh out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment