Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Homeschooling

This time last year, for a few minutes, I actually considered quitting my job so I could home school Luke. I had come to the realization that his going to school was going to cramp our style. We would no longer be able to rent a condo on the beach in September and get the off peak rate. We would no longer be able to visit Josh’s parents at the beginning of May before it became oppressively hot and humid. We would no longer be able to take a vacation in October. We would no longer be able to have our 80s movie club on Tuesday nights, staying up until the wee hours of the morning. Ugh.

Life can be cruel.

Why must children require so much sleep?

Seriously, home school was looking good. However, I then remembered that I am not a teacher. I am a paralegal. And thus far, my son has yet to require paralegal type help. I hope and pray he never does. I also remembered that teaching is NOT my forte. I lack the required amount of patience that job requires.

So, last August, Luke entered school and I continued my paralegal job. The 80s movie club was suspended until further notice.

Then, the summer came. Freedom! We could do whatever the heck we wanted too in this million zillion degree weather. Whoo Hoo!

Luke stayed up late, Luke went to South Carolina, we went to South Carolina, friends came over, we stayed up late, we had the 80s movie club on Tuesdays!

Tonight, we will have our last 80s movie club night for the summer. Sadness.

Luke is heading back to school in a couple of weeks and being the responsible parent I am, I feel that he needs to get back into the swing of things now. Going to bed in the pm, rather than the am and waking up in the am, rather than the pm.

Homeschooling is looking good again. I am thinking that we can stay up until midnight, wake up around 10 or so and then start school. Surely my patience will hold strong for a few hours….for a few days…or weeks. Maybe?

I mean, is it wrong to want to home school for the sole purpose of being able to continue to have my friends over for dinner and a movie once a week and so that my kid can play with theirs?

No, I think not.

And the added bonus of a cheap condo in September plopped on the beach is just the icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment