Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Friends and Jalapenos

These are a couple of our friends—Sean and Kayla. We had them over for dinner Tuesday night.


They do print ads for teeth whitening products. Just kidding. They don’t, but I am thinking they should. I will be your agent and take only 5%.

Kayla lived with us for a little while last year. She makes good enchiladas. Luke fell in love with her. For real. He gets this silly little grin on his face when she is around. As a matter of fact, I better not tell him she came over for dinner while he was gone. He would be upset that he missed her.

While living with us, Kayla lost our house key in nine feet of snow, about a mile from our house. She realized this only when we all returned to our house from playing. Luke and I sat on the porch while Kayla and Joshua walked back to the park to look for the key. It was a miracle—the key was lying in a snow angel she had made. Josh does not let her forget about this.

Luke does not like Sean. And he does not like him, because he is married to Kayla. And that is the only reason. For real. He used to not like him because he was Kayla’s boyfriend, but he stepped up his dislike upon their marriage. Luke does not talk to Sean. If Sean directly asks him a question, Luke will nod or shake his head. No words.

Sean is the only person in the world who has kept my Luke from eating chocolate. Sean had a chocolate cake at their wedding and Luke refused to eat it because it was Sean’s cake. He stuck with Kayla’s cake only, despite the fact that it was white. And PS—that white cake was good! Yum.

His endless love for Kayla is hilarious.

He was not happy at all about this wedding. In fact, had the preacher asked if anyone objected, I feel certain I would’ve been sitting on Luke to keep him from jumping up and down yelling, “ME! ME! MEEEEEEE!!!!” That would have been a nice sight. Thankfully, it was just assumed that all of us there were a-okay with the wedding. I however, know Luke’s true feelings and now you do too.

While looking through my Pioneer Woman cook book the other day for something (and by the way, she is making another one. I can hardly wait!) I noticed that she had a recipe for jalapeno wraps, but they were slightly different than the ones I found forever ago on her website. These had sharp cheddar cheese mixed in with the cream cheese AND the bacon had BBQ sauce on it. It was all I could do not to drop what I was doing and make them right then and there! But, since I have some left over BBQ sauce from our pizza the other night, I decided this was the perfect time to make these.



They were Heavenly. So heavenly in fact that Kayla took it upon herself to hand out these yummy things making sure that everyone had an equal number. The girl also did not miss a beat when Josh said he did not want all of his (light weight). She quickly handed them out to the rest of us.

Here is the recipe, straight from PW’s cookbook. Make them and watch your friends scarf them down.

18 fresh jalapenos
8 ounce package cream cheese
½ cup grated cheddar cheese (I feel certain I used more)
I green onion, sliced (I omitted this because my husband hates onions)
18 slices thin bacon, cut into halves
Bottled Barbecue Sauce

{Preheat oven to 275 degrees}

Cut jalapenos in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon.

In a bowl, combine cream cheese, grated cheese, and sliced onion.

Stuff each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture.

Wrap a bacon slice around each half and secure with a toothpick.

Brush bacon with barbecue sauce.
Cook for an hour or until bacon is sizzling.

(now, if you are like me, you don't have an hour.  I broiled mine on high and just watched until they were cooked)

ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment