Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

And just like that, it's over

Today when I got to Luke’s school to pick him up, they told me he was moved over to the other building. I gulped hard, smiled, and said okay. She told me how they moved some of the kids to the other building to go ahead and transition them. She went on to say how he had a great time and told me a little more of his day. As I drove the short distance to the other building, I was almost in tears. I have no problem with the simple fact that he is in another building, but the idea that Pre-K is officially over? Yes, I have a hard time with that. I am a girl who needs to prepare herself for things!

I must have had an odd look on my face when the Luke got in the car because the lady said, “I bet it was a shocker to you that Luke was moved.” Yes, I thought, it was…but, I just said, oh, that is okay and smiled. She too told me what a wonderful time Luke had in the new class. As we pulled off, Luke happily told me about his new class and what he did during the day. Then, he got quiet for a minute and said, “But Mommy, will I ever get to go back and visit Mrs. Lori? And can I talk to her on the computer?” And then I could not hold back the tears anymore. I told him yes, he could certainly talk to her on the computer and we would visit her. Then I let my tears flow. Pre-K was over. Just like that.

When we got home, he said he had lots of stuff in his backpack, and then he unloaded Pre-K right then and there in the living room. He brought home his art work, his swim trunks, and his cubbie label. Ugh, I wanted to cry again, but held it together since he could see my face. I just gave him a hug and told him I loved him.

Growing up myself was hard enough at times. Watching my little boy grow up is even harder.


No comments:

Post a Comment