Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fun times being a parent

I am not sure, but I would guess that close to all parents are taken off guard when their six year old cusses. And most would probably then start to wonder where their child learned such words. Not me, I knew exactly where Luke obtained his information!

On one of my days off this past week, I decided to take Luke to a surprise. He had no idea where we were going, but as soon as we pulled into the movie theater parking lot, he knew what was up. He did not however, know what movie we were there to see. And because I like to keep him in suspense, I would not tell him. In hindsight, this is where I went wrong. Things might have been better had I just told him the name of the movie.

One of Luke’s (usually) great traits is that he is very inquisitive. The fact that his mother would not tell him the name of the movie did not bother him. He took it upon himself to figure it out. Not real hard when you have to walk through the parking lot to the building and there is a huge marquee sign that lists out all the movies that are currently showing.

As we were walking up to the theater from the car, the following conversation took place:


Luke: Are we going to see Jack Ass?
Me: No. And do not say that again, it’s bad word.
Luke: Jack Ass is not a bad word.
Me: STOP IT! Yes, it is and you do not need to say it again.
Luke: I have a friend at school named Jack and so it’s not a bad word. What does ass mean?
Me: Luke, do NOT say it again. I know Jack is not a bad word, but the other one is.
Luke: Oh, okay.


Ugh…..

I told this story to my dad. After he was done laughing, he said, “I do not know why you taught him to read. You should stop.”

I think he is right. I should nip this reading thing in the bud before he graduates to four letter cuss words.

Happy New Year to you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment